Ministry of Personnel Public Grievances and Pensions
Department of Pension and Pensioners Welfare
3rd Floor, Lok Nayak Bhawan,
Khan Market, New Delhi-110 003
Dated 16th April, 2009
Subject: Implementation of Governments decision on the recommendation of the VIth CPC revision of CCS (Extraordinary Pension) Rules,
1939 Constant Attendant Allowance.
The undersigned is directed to say that on the Recommendations of Sixth Central Pay Commission in para 5.1.44 of its Report, orders were issued vide Department of Pension & Pensioner's Welfare O.M. No.38/37/2008-P&PW (A) dated 2.9.2008 that:
In the case of pensioners who retired on disability pension under the CCS (Extraordinary Pension) Rules, 1939, for 100% disability (where the individual
is completely dependent on somebody else for day to day function), a Constant Attendant Allowance of Rs.3,000/- p.m. shall be allowed in addition to
the disability pension, on the lines existing in Defence Forces.
2. Accordingly, the payment of the Constant Attendant Allowance (C.A.A.) shall be governed by the provisions as under:-
(i) Constant Attendant Allowance (C.A.A) will be Applicable to cases where the disability for which Constant Attendance Allowance is
payable is attributable to or aggravated by service.
(ii) Constant Attendant Allowance (C.A.A) may be granted to a Government servant who is awarded a disability pension for 100
percent disablement, if in the opinion of the medical board, he needs the services of a constant attendant for at least a period
of three months, and the necessity arises solely from the condition of the accepted disability or disabilities.
(iii) Constant Attendant Allowance (C.A.A) shall not be payable for any period during which the pensioner is an inmate or an
in-patient of a Government institution or hospital.
(iv) Payment of Constant Attendant Allowance (C.A.A) shall be made along with disability pension. Payment shall be made
on the basis of declaration as in Annexure which shall be submitted to the Pension Disbursing Authority in May & November
3. Formal amendments to the Central Civil Services (Extraordinary Pension) Rules, 1939, are being issued separately.
4. These orders are issued with the approval of the Ministry of Finance, Department of Expenditure vide their
U.O.No.7.32/10/2009-IC dated 23rd February, 2009.
5. In their applicability to the personnel of the Indian Audit and Accounts Department, these orders issue in consultation with the
Comptroller & Auditor General of
6. Ministry of Agriculture, etc. are requested to bring the contents of these orders to the notice of the Heads of Departments, their Attached an Subordinate Offices, Controller of Accounts, Pay & Accounts Officers, etc. under their administrative control.
All Ministries/Departments of the Government of India as per standard distribution list.
Copy to Presidents Secretariat, Vice Presidents Secretariat, Prime Ministers Office, Cabinet Secretariat, Supreme Court of India,
C&AG, UPSC, etc. as per standard endorsement list.
Annexure to O.M. No.45/6/2008-P&PW (F)
Dated 16th April 2009
Declaration for drawal of Constant Attendant Allowance by a Government servant alongwith their disability pension
1. PPO No.
2. Name of the Government Servant/Pensioner
3 (b) Grade
3 (c) Rank last held
4. Name of the Ministry/Deptt./Office from which he/she retired under the Govt. of India.
5. Scale of pay/Pay Band & Grade Pay at the time of retirement
6 Pay last drawn
7. Date of Birth
8. Rate of Constant Attendance Allowance
9. Particulars of any period spent as an inmate or an in-patient of a
(a) Date of admission to the hospital/institution
(b) Date of discharge from hospital/institution
10. I hereby declare that I am the pensioner described above, that the particulars given on this form are true and that for the period viz .to .for which I now claim Constant Attendant Allowance (C.A.A )
(a) I was not an inmate or an in-patient of a government hospital/institution.
(b) I actually employed Shri .son of Shri as a paid attendant to look after me, such attendance having been necessitated by the disability/disabilities for which I am drawing the disability pension.
(c) Shri .is not related to me in any way.
I certify to the best of my knowledge and belief that the above declaration is correct.
Date (Signature of a responsible office or well known person)
Full Name & Designation